ORC Kitchen Remodel Week 5: Reno Realities During The Final Stretch
Well, well, well.
We have but a week left and my husband and I took on some of the biggest renovation hurdles during the last few days (not a surprise with us really-like I've said before, we both work our best under pressure. Or is it that we both feel the need to torture ourselves? Or is it that neither of us has any extra time? Hmmm... )
And because I get a kick out of waiting to the very last minute, I have to admit that I'm writing this under pressure too-just mere hours before the post goes live.
So, let me be easy on you (there are so many ORC blogs to read after all) and easy on me (my husband and I just finished making some final cuts to the butcher block counters and it's only 9:30pm-lol!), and I will leave you with a bulleted list of things we did and discovered during this last week.
What we did:
- Changed out the shiny brass doorknobs and locks to a matte black finish
- Removed the cabinet next to the pantry
- Painted the beige walls and window trim white
- Prepped for wallpaper (I used Kilz wall primer-works great!)
- Hung the teal faux grasscloth wallpaper
- Installed the roman shade
- Changed out the pendant lights above the sink (not sure if I will keep them-they're not exactly my taste)
- Got a dumpster delivery (my kind of delivery-it signifies progress-YAS!)
- Removed sink, cooktop, and microwave
- Removed old countertops and formica backplash
- Cut and mostly installed new Acacia butcher block countertops
- Bought some new tools and a new above the range microwave
- Leveled out the pool area and wheelbarrowed 100's of rocks to the other side of the yard, seeded the grass, took down 2 old lightposts, removed dead trees, dug up old brush and weeds, dug out old gas piping, took down two old fences, built two new fences, spray painted planters, met with a fence installer, ordered 4 yards of decorative stone, started to demo concrete patio (oh wait, that's the outdoor project that we are working on-oops!)
What we discovered:
- A giant metal hole that was stuffed with a bed sheet was behind the backplash panel that must have once vented to the outside-which now has siding over it-ugh
- The super old, GE Spacemaker, monster microwave did not want to come off the wall
- The old backplash was on a lot more securely than we expected
- A 2nd, open, electrical outlet was hiding behind the backplash lip just below an already existing outlet (I cant make this stuff up guys)
I won't bore you with what we need to do because you will get see everything next Thursday during the final reveal! So check back in on the 11th, if only to see if we've made it through without any serious injuries or loss of sanity. And don't forget to give the featured and guestbloggers rooms a look too (click Here and Here).