ORC Kitchen Remodel Week 4: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
Well, it's week 4 of our kitchen remodel and it seems like this one will be a fight to the finish...
- The grey grout was back in stock at Lowes so we fully finished the new floors!
- Ikea restocked the butcher block countertops so we scooped them up (*see "BAD" for more info)
- I fixed the kitchen sink cabinet ( *see "UGLY" for the real deal)
- We decided to get a new above-the-range microwave (bye bye monster 80's Space Maker )
- I ordered an affordable piece of art that I find to be chic and hilarious
- A BUNCH of stuff came in the mail and most items arrived much faster than I ever expected! (Rug, faucet, roman shade, and wallpaper were delivered and I found new mugs from West Elm and countertop accessories from Terrain)
- We decided that the Ikea countertops weren't exactly what we wanted and their sizing was off-but...we bought awesome Acacia wood counters from Lumber liquidators that are even more beautiful and substantial than we hoped to find AND they were having a MAJOR sale!! (this part should be in the "GOOD" but I didn't want to give it all away- wink wink)
- The majority of the countertops won't be here until next week which means the backsplash, outlets, and sink install are on hold too.
- I have to install wallpaper for the very first time by myself (I start crying every time I think about it)
- In order to attach the new roman shade that I love so much, I may have to rethink the globe pendant lights because they hit the shade (I'm really hoping this is an easy fix and I can just find more elongated glass coverings)
- While sitting on the floor to grout, I realized that I was in the middle of a swarm of tiny sugar ants, and upon further inspection, I discovered they were literally EVERYWHERE! The itty bitty pests were climbing the walls, the counters, the chairs- they were all over the entire kitchen (This is the 2nd swarm of insects I've had the privilege of having a front row seat to-the first being termites-ugh! ). Luckily we have a military grade pest control contract with the exterminator so most were gone within a couple of hours (I'm assuming it was poison that did em' in).
- I tackled the "under-sink" (ewww) The before pictures say it all...but now we have a reconstructed and nice looking sink cabinet complete with pull out garbage and recycling bins!
I have a feeling that the next couple of weeks are going to be a whirlwind- wish us luck!