ORC Kitchen Remodel Week 2: Tackling the Tile
Call me impatient. Call me controlling. Call me demanding. But, those traits are the ONLY way we managed to have (mostly) completed the kitchen floor in a week. We have yet to cut a few wonky pieces (those that fit around pipes under the radiator), and we do have to add grout, but darn it, Its 90% there and I would say after a busy week of work, my son's 2nd birthday and family visiting from out of town, my husband and I deserve a high five!
I want to remind you what we started with and since my last One Room Challenge post didn't focus on the flooring, I am adding a listing picture (it's hard to believe this was from only 9 months ago)...
After pulling up the old vinyl tile with a floor scraper- yep that yellow basket weave was vinyl!- we unearthed a lumpy, mess. The old glue refused to come up in some areas and the "subfloor" (or at least what was used as the subfloor to lay the previous tiles) was a mix of plywood and midcentury laminate. We had to be careful not to disturb the laminate since most from that era was made with asbestos- and that's not something you want floating around in the air. So to even out the surface and to make it as smooth and clean as possible (in order for the new peel and stick vinyl tile to adhere properly) we covered the floor with two coats of primer. It took a full day for the first coat to completely dry, but the second coat was absolutely necessary and it really did the trick.
The next step was to measure the room's length and width and divide both of those numbers by two to find the middle (make sure to measure from the farthest points of the room, even if there's only a small section of space that extends more than the rest). Once you do that, you can use a carpenter square to determine where to place the first tile. Since we decided that we wanted a staggered pattern, we found the mid point of one to determine where the tile above and below the first would start. Be sure to wipe down the floor again and again since even the slightest amount of dirt can throw off the glue's stickiness.
Because we want the floor to look as much like ceramic tile as possible, we used 1/8inch spacers to create even gaps for grout. The grout that we choose is a lighter shade of gray and it's the perfect accent!
This week, we will complete the grouting, add the baseboards and install our thresholds. In addition, we'd like to paint the walls, or at least test out some samples and make a final color decision. We also need to choose and order the faucet and drain, sink, countertops, and shelf brackets- The exact products that I have chosen are pictured below. And I almost forgot that I've also ordered a custom roman shade from Only Cordless on Etsy.
And I'm still on the hunt for that perfect vintage rug- I'm planning on Jen from FleaMarketFab to pull through for me since she collects and sells the most amazing pieces, like this...